For the Love of Chocolate gala celebrates ‘Peace, Love & Chocolate’
February fundraising event provides scholarships for students at Chicago’s French Pastry School.
Look no further for a sweet way to rack up some good karma.
This year’s For the Love of Chocolate gala will take place on Feb. 28 at the Union League Club of Chicago.
The extravagant event raises money to provide scholarships for students who qualify for Chicago’s French Pastry School career programs.
Guests are promised to delight in decadent sweets, indulge in savory offerings from Chicago’s top chefs and groove to the music of live bands and DJs. The theme this year is Peace, Love and Chocolate. Attendees are encouraged to dress like their favorite British mod rockers, Mad Men ad characters and glam divas.
Last year’s gala raised more than $189,000 with more than 850 people attending to bring the Roaring 20s back to life.
For the Love of Chocolate Foundation, which hosts the gala, was created in 2006. Its original purpose was to raise funds to save newborn Abigail Wodrich, who was in dire need of a kidney transplant.
In 2007, the foundation changed its mission to provide scholarships for dedicated students of the pastry arts. Since then, the foundation has awarded 113 people with more than $470,000 in scholarships. Students are given the opportunity to study in full-time programs taught by The French Pastry School at City Colleges of Chicago.
“I just looked into the doorway and saw my future,” says Erica Sparkman, former scholarship winner. “The only major barrier was, ‘How can I afford this?’” When she received the call about the scholarship she says she felt like a giddy fifth-grader.
“I believe in kindness, and the things that we put forward come back,” Sparkman adds. “So for people to make that donation to help me, to help others, it’s really kind, and I think it really shows how beautiful they are.”
For the Love of Chocolate Event Details:
Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 7:00 pm
Union League Club of Chicago
65 West Jackson Blvd.,
Chicago, Ill. 60604
Special Friends/Family ticket for Sweet & Healthy readers, $100.00/person (normally $150 per person)
Events featured that night:
1. Chicago Catz big-great live music
2. Anacron Allen-Live DJ covering the best of Rock and Roll from the 1960’s through the 70’s!!
3. Anacron Allen’s custom music mix gift!
4. Studio 54 Disco night with all your favorite dance hits
5. The Motown Mix, dress as your favorite Motown Diva and come join the party
6. Sparkling wines from boutique French Vineyards
7. Celebrated Cake Artists celebrating Peter Max art with delicious samplings paired with boutique Sparkling Wines
8. Food as Art and Art as Food-The art of Paul Strabbing a private showing to the guests of For the Love of Chocolate
9. Naha, Hyatt, Nando Milano, Chez Moi, La Sardine, why not take in several top restaurants for a sampling of great food in one night
10. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, when the savory sampling is over chocolate, chocolate, chocolate
11. Oysters, Exotic fish, Flavored Gourmet buttery tastings and more
12. Theatre, dance, premium bars, music, chocolates, cake, sparkling wines, spectacle, fashion, fun
13. Specialty cocktails, craft beer and premium select wines
14. Exquisite art, Fashionable gourmet creations, concierge service, black tie elegance, French Wines
15. Sitar Psychedelic vibes and mystical magic