Just Born Inc. celebrates 90 years of candy making
A look back at the last nine decades and into the future
Who knew 90 could be so sweet? Just Born Quality Confections is learning just how sweet with the celebration of the company’s 90th anniversary on May 23.
Originally incorporated in 1923 in New York City, Just Born currently operates out of Bethlehem, Pa, where it’s been located since 1932.
With quality products like Peeps, Mike and Ike, Hot Tamales and Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews, Just Born treats are a household staple. But, that doesn’t mean the company isn’t constantly working toward innovation and renovation.
Today, Just Born is led by cousins Ross Born and David Shaffer, who both hold the titles of co-ceo.
“It’s wonderful to be celebrating Just Born’s 90th anniversary,” says Shaffer. “To have made it to 90 years, three generations of family ownership, and grown to become the tenth largest candy company in the U.S. is amazing to us. Our iconic brands and 600 dedicated associates are the key to our success.”
Peeps is also celebrating a big birthday as it continues 60 years as America’s favorite Easter candy. It has been the number one non-chocolate Easter candy for the last 20 years and with new flavors like bubble gum and lemonade, Peeps are branching out to be more than a springtime sweet.
Just Born has even more reasons to celebrate this year, after being listed as one of the only two food and beverage sites on of “Lehigh Valley’s Top Workplaces.” The company was also recently certified as a Landfill Free Enterprise by Sustainable Waste Solutions (SWS) and recycles 92 percent of its waste while converting the remaining 8 percent into energy. The company is also fiercely committed to the communities where it operates through philanthropy, associate volunteerism and sustainability programs.
“We are excited about the future,” says Born. “And we believe our work has just begun as we strive to become the most respected confectionery company in the world.”
Here’s to 90 more years.