Over the last 110 years, presidents have come and gone, the economy has ebbed and flowed, and inventions have revolutionized entire industries. Through it all, one thing has remained constant: The Candy Kitchen in Wilton, Iowa has served as a gathering place for generations of people in search of candy, conversation and a sense of community.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the building actually has been standing since the 1800s. In its early days, it housed a variety of entities including a confectionery, a clothing store and a post office. Finally, in 1910, a permanent tenant came along. Gus Nopoulos purchased the property, added some equipment, and gave the location a name. The Candy Kitchen — a confectionery / soda fountain / ice cream parlor — was officially open for business.